Monday 5 November 2012

Karan Johar breaks free from the clutter with his campus-romance, Student of the Year

For Karan Johar, filmmaking has always been more than just a business. After having directed a bunch of successful films including Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001), Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006), My Name Is Khan (2010) and Student of the Year (2012) and producing several more, the director-producer and chief of Dharma Productions continues to be passionate about his trade. Quoting Karan Johar from a recent interview, “My work is my lifeline. My films move me and I don’t have a life besides my movies. They are my primary passion.”

For Karan Johar, following a trend set in Bollywood isn’t the best way to go about. Instead, he chooses to stay clear of the clutter and draw out films unlike any that have been rolled out before. “I am driven only by my instinct. I don’t go by what is happening around. If remakes are being made, that does not mean I will also make one. Or just because masala action films are working, does not mean I will make one. I make what I believe in and hope to achieve the best with it. I don’t follow a norm or go by trends. I make what motivates me,” says Karan.

His newest film simply goes to reflect the fact that this Bollywood bigwig prefers the non-conformist way. Unlike most filmmakers today who rope in superstars in an attempt to draw in the crowds, Karan Johar has casted three newcomers for his latest release titled Student of the Year. The director’s movie-making style is synonymous with lots of glamour and extravagance, and his campus romance starring debutants Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt includes it all.

In the film, Siddharth, Varun and Alia play the roles of three students at a prestigious school presided over by a gay dean (played by Rishi Kapoor) who compete against each other to win the school trophy, putting their relationships at stake.

Catch Karan Johar’s Student of the Year at a cinema near you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment