Tuesday 30 October 2012

Karan Johar’s fulfills campus-romance dreams with Student of the Year

For Karan Johar, directing a campus romance was a long cherished dream that the filmmaker has fulfilled with his recently released movie, Student of the Year. Starring three newcomers in the lead, Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt, this film is a romantic drama that revolves around the lives of three youngsters who fall in and out of love. "Whatever I think of, I make. I wanted to make a campus film about friendship, so made 'Student of the Year'. It was different for us because we worked with newcomers for the first time. The whole idea excited me, so I made the film. Shooting with newcomers was a different but not a difficult experience," said the 40-year-old filmmaker.

This is also the first time Karan Johar has directed a film without his lucky mascot and close friend Shah Rukh Khan. For all of his previous directorial ventures which include Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001), Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006) and My Name Is Khan (2010), the director has had Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan in the lead. For Student of the Year however, Karan decided to give the big names a skip and rope in a younger tide of actors instead. "Working with the best actors and setting up a project with movie stars was almost easy. Them doing exactly what they are capable of, which is brilliance, and me just being there and conducting this whole opera would have been wonderful, but not something I hadn't already done before. Working with first time actors, nurturing them, making sure they present themselves as movie actors, was a far more challenging experience. I felt the need to challenge myself," said Karan Johar recently.

Also, when asked about the similarities in the feel of his campus romance with the likes of previously released Hollywood movies, Karan went on to add, "I haven't even seen High School Musical and I don't think I have even seen a full episode of Glee. I don't even know how to answer the question when people ask me what the film is about. It happens to be set on a college campus and that's where the similarity ends if indeed there is any. There is no outside influence from which the story is drawn.”

Karan Johar’s Student of the Year packs all the glamour and extravagance you’d expect from a film by him. The Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt starrer released on the 19th of October and has drawn a lot of acclaim post its release.

No comments:

Post a Comment